25% Extra Free

My work, my life

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

half-man, half-geek

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

jellyfish

Too long since I posted. Never mind - here are some things ....

Amazingly I was stung by a jellyfish. Not your Aussie box variety, but painful nonetheless. Only a minor graze on the arm but still hurting (a little) almost 2 weeks later. It looked cool though - a line of pairs of parallel dots - each of which individually scabbed over. (Eugh!)

Despite the jellyfish incident we have managed to spend some beautiful afternoons on the beach. Recently all of our trips have been to the west of Genova (the Potente side). Taking in Spotorno, Arenzano, Veraze and - best of all - Finale Ligure. Very different to the Levante side - sandy beaches and Riviera feel rather that stunning small fishing village feel.

Jackie and the boys laid on a really nice party for me when I got back from England after my viva. Big banner saying "Congratulations Dr. Dad". You can't buy moments like that.

Today is my Birthday. I followed the rather nice Italian tradition of buying everyone in the lab cake (and Sparkling Italian Wine/Champagne). Really enjoyable.

Got to go - catch bus!

5 Comments:

Blogger lotek said...

Happy Birthday dude!

I managed to get both my hands wrapped up in Bluebottle jellyfish while surfing a few months ago. Luckily they are much less lethal than the box jellyfish so I just endured the pain, continued surfing and half an hour later I couldn't feel much pain anymore.

4:30 am, July 09, 2008  
Blogger lotek said...

Hmm, turns out that Bluebottle jellyfish isn't actually a jellyfish:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_man_o'_war

4:36 am, July 09, 2008  
Blogger Hedzor said...

Happy Birthday!
I was stung on the elbow by a Jellyfish. Oddly enough it was in the Adriatic sea between Italy and Yugoslavia (Now Montenegro).
My arm swelled up like a balloon and the pain was incredible.
I was only 20, but I thought I was going to die!
I just managed to flounder back to the boat, where a friend pulled me onboard.

11:56 am, July 09, 2008  
Blogger Insanodag said...

Happy belated birthday.

I hate jellyfish. Some of my most vivid childhood memories are of the pain and suffering brought on by not looking properly before jumping into the sea.

In fact, the jellyfish is such an important feature of Norwegian life that even our poetry has been influenced as this poorly translated piece from Gunnhild Øyehaug shows:

Life
is the Jellyfish
that brushes against my thighs
when I swim

Literature
is the wake, in the water
after me, when I screaming
jump back on the shore

1:18 pm, July 09, 2008  
Blogger RoboGeek said...

Seems I got of pretty lightly from my really minor Jellyfish encounter. I did run screaming from the sea though!

Actually, just before getting stung I was sure I saw a plastic bag floating in the water and I all thought was "typical - people throwing rubbish into such a beautiful sea - what a shame!". Instead I should have thought "Jellyfish - run away!"

PS - that bit of Norwegian poetry was just dynamite. They really are obsessed with sea and pain and death and drown it all in huge quantities of bootleg alcohol.

1:57 pm, July 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home